1 the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each beat of the heart; "he could feel the beat of her heart" [syn: pulse, pulsation, beat]
2 a very short time (as the time it takes the eye blink or the heart to beat); "if I had the chance I'd do it in a flash" [syn: blink of an eye, flash, instant, jiffy, split second, trice, twinkling, wink, New York minute]
3 an animating or vital unifying force; "New York is the commercial heartbeat of America"
EtymologyFrom heart + beat.
- A rhythmic pulsation of the heart.
- The policeman felt for a heartbeat in vain
- A driving impulse or vital force.
- Music is the heartbeat of the people
- A very short space of time; an instant.
- The ambulance arrived in a heartbeat
- A periodic signal generated by hardware or software to indicate normal operation or to synchronize other parts of a system.
A rhythmic pulsation of the heart
Heartbeat may refer to:
- Cardiac cycle of the heart
- Heart sounds, in medicine
- Heartbeat (TV series), a British police drama
- Heartbeat (novel), by Sharon Creech
- Heartbeat (program), clustering software from Linux-HA project
- Heartbeat (company), a video game developer that contributed to the Dragon Quest games
- Heartbeat Records, a record label
- Heartbeat: The Abbreviated King Crimson, a 1991 compilation album
- Heartbeat (album), an album and an eponymous single by Don Johnson
- The Heartbeats, a 50s doo wop group
- Heartbeats, song by The Knife
- Heartbeat (Paris Hilton song)
- Heartbeat (King Crimson song)
- Heartbeat (Buddy Holly song)
- Heartbeat (Big Black single)
- Heartbeat (Scouting for Girls song)
- A song by Red 7
- A song by Annie
- A song by Stacey Q also on the Nights Like This Album
heartbeat in Danish: Heartbeat
heartbeat in German: Heartbeat (Begriffsklärung)
heartbeat in Japanese: ハートビート
anima, animating force, arrhythmia, atman, bathmism, beat, beating, beating heart, biological clock, biorhythm, blood, breath, breath of life, divine breath, divine spark, drumming, elan vital, essence of life, flutter, force of life, growth force, heart, heartblood, heartthrob, impulse of life, inspiriting force, jiva, jivatma, life breath, life cycle, life essence, life force, life principle, life process, lifeblood, living force, palpitation, pitapat, pitter-patter, pneuma, prana, pulsation, pulse, rat-a-tat, rataplan, rhythm, seat of life, soul, spark of life, spirit, staccato, tempo, throb, throbbing, vis vitae, vis vitalis, vital energy, vital flame, vital fluid, vital force, vital principle, vital spark, vital spirit